Monday, March 3, 2008

Is it worth it?

After a long break during the Chinese New Year, I came back with new vigour and determination to work my ass off. I started to get the ball rolling for both projects. I’ve been busy travelling, visiting branches and it’s been a real eye-opener. What I meant in terms of an eye-opener meaning how things are run in this organisation. My job is to ease the burdens of these branches by being the eyes and ears as well as the voice to the management but I’ve been failing miserably in this aspect. With constant figures and feedbacks from the branches and having presented them to the management, they seem to be in denial how badly things are at the branches. Rather than figuring out how to lend a hand, the management prefer to find more faults with the branches which cause more anger and resentment among the employees at branches. Now I understand why my predecessors left the organisation and why I’m stuck in my current position now.

At times, a sense of helplessness overcomes me and I just feel moody whole day long, and it doesn’t help with the new dragon lady acting exactly like a dragon, forever breathing fire and snarling away. It makes me appreciate my previous boss, even if he lacks certain leadership skills.

Tell me, how do you actually succeed in being a better employee when you’re being screamed at for taking initiative to do things better and having your self confidence and effort being ripped apart when you try to get advice from a dragon lady? I’m lost for words as to how do I actually describe the scenario here. Even with constant stream of words of wisdom and encouragement from the Bible, I’m still at a loss here. I’ve never felt so helpless, useless and demotivated in my life. It makes me wonder whether getting pounded by verbal abuse everyday is worth every penny earned?


The past weeks incidents has got me thinking whether what I’ve earned so far in this organisation, will it be a waste to just throw it all away for the sake of my own health and happiness?

It’s time to sit back, pray, evaluate and find out what are my main priorities in life.

8 comments:

myop101 said...

sigh... i hate these kind of bosses. honestly, i will just leave. there is no point wasting time with a bunch of people living in denial and hating your guts...

Seaqueen said...

myop101: Yea. Tell me about it. If it weren't for the house that I bought I would have just left. Have a good mind to do so. So tired of being scolded left and right.

Anonymous said...

1 question...have u ever try to find another job outside? maybe u can get a similar paying job?

i believe "if it weren't for the house" ...is just an excuse. if u wanna move, u can move.

furthermore, what is more important than ur own health? working under such bosses, u will not be appreciated.

u can try to talk to her. have a heart-to-heart talk. if she is still the same, then so be it. move on. change now when the market belum crash :)

Seaqueen said...

Alvin Lim: Yea. Lately have been looking at different sector. No longer interested in looking back in the same sector as what I'm in now.

True also. Just have to make wise choices in my next employment.

Talking to her?? Oh, too bad. Today was the ultimum. Will blog about it tomorrow I hope. 2day blood pressure boiling. Don't really feel like blogging about it at the mo. :) But thanks for the encouragement.

Anonymous said...

haha, nvm. i'm sure u can find your way. :) there are plenty of opportunities outside :D

zewt said...

the thing is not about the organisation.... it's just the way this country is.... employees are exploited. having finally experienced working overseas for 2 months... i can really see the difference.

Seaqueen said...

Alvin Lim: Yes. Having some lined up. :)

Zewt: Exploited?? Explain more please?

zewt said...

as in ... they squeeze you...make u do everything and pay u peanut.

u know in UK... the Q12 score is only 3+ and summore... they are getting the best of everything already.