Friday, August 14, 2009

Bewitched


Lately I've had this urge to watch Bewitched. Not the new version starring Nicole Kidman but starring Elizabeth Montgomery.

Surprisingly enough a lot of my friends have not heard of this sitcom. It was aired on Malaysian tv in the early 80s. I wonder what was shown here or was it that, no one actually remembered it or didn't even watch it back then.

Bewitched is actually about this witch played by Elizabeth Montgomery married to a mortal, played by Dick York and later on replaced by another actor. I vaguely remembered that I loved this sitcom when I was young and somehow after downloading it lately and watching it all over again, I realised that even back then, they actually showed male machoness to a whole mighty new level, especially in this show. Either I didn't realised it or I was never exposed to it last time, nor now even.

The whole sitcom talks about how Samantha the witch tries her best to adapt to a mortal life and give up witchcraft just because her husband Darrin dislikes to be different. He expects her to bow to his every wish. Funny enough he takes all kind of crap from his boss, Larry, who from time to time, barges into Darrin's private life, self-invites himself to their house for dinner, imposes all kinds of inconvenience to Darrin and Samantha. The show also stars Endora, who is Samantha's mother, apparently a witch as well who stirs up hell for Darrin. Actually the pranks that she plays on him gives him a good lesson but he never seems to learn from it. Shows how men can be really pig-headed at times. Hahahah!!!

All in all, after watching so many seasons of Bewitched, it has dawned on me that male egoistic and machoness has never actually gone away. I might say it has been repressed tremendously which is totally fantastic as I bet, nowadays women would be totally put off with all that ego. But one thing stays I guess, a boss that always impedes on our own personal time.

So here's to Bewitched. A totally fantastic entertaining movie, minus all the egoism inside of course. Hahahah!!

No comments: