Monday, September 3, 2007

First day disaster

This is how it actually feels like on my first day of work in a new organisation; a totall disaster.


When I first arrived, I was greeted by one colleague from another department. As a new comer and I don't know where I was supposed to sit, I went straight to the pantry where I met this colleague. There was introduction of course. I mean I'm still friendly even though I can be what people presumed to be stand-offish if they don't know me well.


As usual, introduction of name, previous attachment, was the main topic of discussion. When it got to who I was supposed to report to, I got a shock of my life, the AVP (Assistant Vice President) that interviewed me left the organisation. I thought, ok. That's kinda normal, people come and go. I can still accept that.


As usual, when a new comer arrives, a senior will bring the new comer around to know the rest of the team and neigbouring departments so today was no different. I did my rounds, saying hi, shaking hands, you know the drill. After that comes the serious part, job scope or so I thought. As I was briefed by one of the regional manager, on the on-going projects that I was supposed to take over, I was told of more bad news. I mean how much bad news can a gal take for one day, let alone one morning? Get a load of this for a first day, the regional manager himself told me that he's resigned only after 6 months serving the organisation. Another project manager in our team has also resigned as well. Which means both are serving their notice now. It felt like a bad dream and boy was it de-motivating. It was not a good feeling to start a day with. How do you feel if on your first day most of your team members tell you that they're actually serving their notice and left because of certain issues. They cited reasons such as workload issues where the main bosses have the tendency to say yes to practically everything which ended up them having them to do everything from branch to hr even, red tape issues, being forced to do other department's task, etc. I believe that each and every organisation would face these kind of issues.


But DAMN. The feeling was like having a huge wave pound your head over and over again, while you're trying to re-surface for air but keep getting dragged down under water by the current. Feels like something what the cantonese call "seong che" which basically means being cheated.


Now I'm trying to figure out whether I've made the correct choice in accepting this job while turning down another offer. Only God will be able to help me through this rough patch. Sigh.

8 comments:

zewt said...

hahahahaha.... from the frying pan to the fire it seems.... well... maybe u can be team leader lor since so many ppl leaving...

i see you installed bloglog already... increase the number of ppl shown la.

Weig said...

Wah.... I don't know, but do you think God is trying to give you a massive hint there? When all looks bad, ain't it a sign from the divine?

Mcmercedez said...

Well, hang in there and God will show you the way.. I've experienced this situation and finally God give me a better path to walk..

Be patient and pray to the Almighty and he will answer your prayer..

God Bless..

Am I a pastor or something? No ler.

Seaqueen said...

Zewt: Hmm... That's what people are saying as well. We'll see in a few months time then.

Cirnelle: Yes. It definitely is a sign from God though I have yet to know how to interpret it. Hahahha!!

Mcmercedez: Yes. Thanks dear. =)

Anonymous said...

when reading thru ur post...something similar hit me. :P i still remember last time, when i joined tis company as a fresh grad who knows nothing.

i sat down in the pantry...and besides the HR who opened the door for me...i don c any1 else at 9am.

however, i saw a lot of demotivated "zombies" around.

yea..some are serving their notice and there's a major reshuffling at the top.

few weeks later...the top mgmt announced pay cut (was having 2k salary that time...the cut was 300)

The Malaysian Life said...

My friend just joined a new company last month and realised the whole department (she was assigned to) has resigned - she and 2 other new recruits were the replacements. Apparently, thats not the first time the whole dept has resigned en block. While the handing over work process was going on, she learned a lot of dishartening things about the company that she wanted to tender her resignation as well, just after 2 weeks of joining.

Anonymous said...

Ok, perhaps you might still be able to call that other co and ask if they are still open?

I hate it when I get a spineless boss. My recommendation is to look for an exit plan fast!...

Seaqueen said...

Sorry for the late reply. Been bogged down at work.

Alvin: Woah. That's a real bummer. SO how long did you stay at the company?

The Malaysian Life: Hmm...Is this a trend or what? That everywhere people leave the whole dept and the new joiners come in to feel disheartened?

Anonymous: Yes yes. Must do so. Keep me in your prayers :)