Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Celebration, Food and Laughter

Yesterday nite has been one fantastic night. Managed to celebrate a very good friend's birthday yesterday at Penang Village in USJ. You must be wondering, out of so many food reviews on places to eat by "Joe who's constantly craving" why did I choose Penang Village. I actually wanted to try the new restaurant he just recently introduced at Mid Valley but we made the reservations much earlier and also due to the fact the birthday gal was a Penang food fanatic. So a friend actually suggested this place.



We had a superb night. Food and laughter with great company, what more can a girl ask for. We really did enjoy ourselves, non-stop laughing, I mean literally, we couldn't stop laughing at every single thing. ( I think the people at the outlet probably think we just escaped out from Tj. Rambutan asylum or something like that).
After satisfying our hunger we went to Baskin Robbins for cake and candle-blowing. Where else can you go? Not the normal Secret Recipe of course. We had to find something different. Why the clown cake? Cos we're a bunch of clowns. Hahahahah!!! No, really, we totally have so much fun, "clowning" around, hence the Tj. Rambutan asylum description earlier.

Anyway, Happy Birthday Andrena. It's been great knowing you all these years!!!!!






Food galore below.


(Hae Bee Butter squids)
I'll admit overall the food was up to par. I especially love the Hae Bee buttered squids. Yummy. So creamy and the smell of the Hae Bee as you sink your teeth into it, it's totally out of this world.


(Char Kuey Teow)

My Char Kuey Teow was delightful. Just the right taste, not too oily, and huge prawns. I have always thought that in KL, Mdm Kwan and Little Penang Cafe do really good Char Kuey Teow but this restaurant's got the kick.



(Otak-Otak)
The otak-otak was really first class. You can actually see succulent fish meat inside it, unlike some, where you can only taste a bit of fish taste and not see a single fish inside it. So thumbs up for this.


(Kam Heong Tofu)
Another extraordinary dish was the kam heong tofu. This is the first I've ever tried such a dish. Usually it's kam heong prawns or chickens but tofu, not bad. The tofu, I'm not too sure whether they used actualy tofu and fried it or they used tofu "pok" (I've no idea what it's called in English) but the taste was exquisite. Something totally different and I'll definitely call for it the next time I'm there.
The only slack was the asam laksa and the red bean cendol. The asam laksa had a too strong fishy taste, not sour and spicy enough. So, didn't really like it. The cendol was a total disaster. I'm not sure whether they put too much ice-shavings inside but there was not gula melaka taste at all.

All things considered, I'll give the food an 8 out or 10.

7 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

thanks for the free advertising...would appreciate if it was in the form of a link..*just kidding*..

the food looks good..i think those pieces are taufu pieces..pok has an empty filling..

yummy stuff mate..hope to convert u to a full time food blogger..

Seaqueen said...

Hahahah!! Ok. I'll try to add you as a link next round. ;)

Yea. Really yummy food. Of course my photos can't do it much justice, what with a lousy, Nikon digital cam, unlike your 400D? Hahahah!!!

Yea, hope I can blog more too. Just means that I need to eat more.

The Malaysian Life said...

Does Penang Village share the same owner as the Little Penang place in mid valley ?
Ive not been to Baskin Robbins for a long time. This weekend, Im going - Merdeka treat ! :)

Anonymous said...

Waah...more makan reviews.

Hey, how come you didn't include the pricing? At least set a rating scale for pricing. You know, 1 = cheapskate budget, 5 = I eat here because I have RM1 mil...

Seaqueen said...

The Malaysian Life: I'm not too sure whether they both share the same owner. Wow. Merdeka treat eh? Good. Enjoy your long weekend. :)

Anonymous: Yea. More makan review. Love food. No, didn't include the pricing cos I couldn't remember them. We're supposed to pay for the meal but while we were busy laughing and taking photos she paid for it. Made us all feel bad. Well, at least we still got her a birthday cake. :)

Mcmercedez said...

They both (Little Penang Cafe and Penang Village) are different entity by themself.. No relation mate..

But Penang Village have more choices.. hehe..

Anonymous said...

i used to frequent penang village TTDI a lot then i stopped...the quality dropped until very teruk.

then i went to alamanda putrajaya...also same.

the hae bee butter squid very nice!! the rest..normal lo.

DONT TRY THE PANDAN TOFU

me n my frens each took 1 bite and covered it with tissue paper