Friday, August 17, 2007

Marriage Shock



Wedding bells ringing, exchanging of rings, the beloved groom and bride all dressed in white, holding hands, being blessed by the minister and a 1985 Rolls Royce Silver Spirit waiting to take the blissful couple to their honeymoon destination.

Doesn’t this paint a quaint picture, makes you feel all lovey dovey? You can forget all that. I mean you can have it all happen but not before you go through all the hassle of preparation, the ceremonies, all the shopping for gowns, finding the right attire for the groom, last minute co-ordinations for the dinner, the list is endless.

I was discussing with a couple of friends about wedding preparation as we’re all still young and innocent (puke! puke!), still in our early twenties where one by one, we’re slowly jumping on the marriage bandwagon. Of course the stories range from where to find the best make-up artist, to where to find the most glamorous gowns for dinner and the topic stopped at relatives involved in the marriage preparation. Boy oh boy do the stories get juicy. Get a load of this.


One of my girlfriend mentioned that she, as usual is planning the normal marriage tea ceremony and dinner. But she found out a couple of months before her wedding that her husband-to-be’s relatives aren’t what you exactly call accommodating relatives. The first “horror” story she told us was, her husband’s relatives have bought her gold for the tea ceremony. Tea ceremony is where you serve tea to those who are older than you and in return they either give you an ang pau (red packet with money) or gold. I don’t exactly know the reasoning for this ceremony other than it is a way to show respect but I just know that’s how it’s done. Now comes the grand finale; (Drum rolls) the relatives decided NOT to give any ang pau for the dinner because they’ve bought her gold!! How good can this story get man! We were in total shock! I mean, how can you call someone a relative, and yet be so stingy??!! I always thought that during wedding dinners, it’s the relatives that actually help out by giving more in terms of ang pau so that the couple can use it to cover for the dinner, in case there happen to be RM5 ang pau given. Oh, did I mention that she was told the gold bought for her was shared between 5 families of relatives. I was totally dumbfounded. All I’ve got to say is, I feel really sorry for her. I know as a friend I need to help her so as a close friend, at least RM500 from me and my fiancée when I attend her wedding dinner. Don’t you worry my friend, I’ll try to help you as much as I can.

As a friend, even as a colleague if I go to attend a wedding dinner, I’ll give at least RM80-RM100 (for one attendee only), depending on how well I know the couple and also where the dinner is held. I mean, come on people, you know how expensive all things are, at least have the courtesy of giving a decent ang pau for the dinner?

What about you? How much are you willing to give for a wedding dinner?

5 comments:

zewt said...

scary scary stories. i have heard of another horror stories... bride vs groom family in the ang pow allocation duel... almost boil over during the dinner... damn stupid.

anyway... 100 is not enough nowadays.

Weig said...

Ah... the ol' Chinese 'customary' expected amount. Ya know, only the Chinese would manage a wedding as a business venture - One must either break even or make a profit. One must never have to dig into one's own pocket to finance one's own wedding. :)

Anonymous said...

yeah la... RM100 only works if you are in small towns. Nowadays, for hotel banquets (assuming those 5 stars ones) in KL, you have to fork out RM150 per person!...sigh...

Anonymous said...

mmm depends on who lo. small town normally rm80 still got la. if pj area, is 90-120. if kl, then 120-150 lo. if reli good frens, i don mind give 150 or more.

Seaqueen said...

Zewt: Wow. Then what happened?? Yes. Noted. I'll give you more. Don't worry. Provided you invite me. hahaha!!

Cirnelle: Yea. That I'll never understand. Sometimes the parents take over the whole wedding dinner thing as well.

Anonymous: Noted. I know what to do. :P

Alvin: It's true. I usually give more if I go to a hotel and also depending how well I know the couple.