Monday, August 20, 2007

Being a responsible parent




I’d love to start this entry with loads of swear and vulgar words as that’s how I feel now, KKNCCB, %*@@##!!!. Pissed to the core. Recently I have been splurging quite a bit, not only for myself but for those close to me. My fiancée’s sister’s (let’s just call her Samantha) desktop just “died” on her. Since I love her so much, I decided to buy her a notebook. No, I’m not some rich datin where I can afford to give everyone a new notebook but since she hasn’t been that lucky in getting a new computer, I became Santa Claus for a day. Got her a new Acer notebook, with minimal features, just enough for her to surf the internet to do research, sufficient for her to do her assignments and of course not forgetting her much adored DVD-rom. She’s an avid fan of all TVB series. I mean, come on, every student surely needs time to unwind with their favourite pastime, and hers happens to be watching TVB series. J

Well, she brought back the notebook back to her hometown last weekend, and being the kind-hearted soul she was, she consented to allow her cousin’s son to play some games inside her notebook. But being a child with another younger sister, you know how kids play rough. They fought over playing the notebook and somehow they managed to cause a hairline crack on the screen. I know, you’ll be swearing up and down. When Samantha called me, I thought that it was a small crack. That night, she brought over the notebook and my GOD!! It was not hairline crack. There are 2 bloody big cracks all the way from bottom to the top. And here’s the ultimate, she said the kid’s mother, Catherine won’t be paying for the repairs. She blames Samantha for the crack, saying that she shouldn’t have let her kids play with the notebook in the first place. Yes I know, it may sound quite true to a certain extent, Samantha shouldn’t have let the kids play with the notebook, but come on, I mean, let’s say, you go out to the shopping complex, your kid accidentally break something, doesn’t it state clearly that, “Once broken, considered sold” which basically means you need to pay for it. Or another scenario, let’s say you borrow your friend’s car to drive and you got into an accident, shouldn’t you pay for it?


I don’t know. I’m really pissed off at the same time wondering whether I should demand a payment for the repairs. I’ve checked with Acer as well as the computer shop and they already said there’s no way that a warranty claim can be done for a crack notebook screen, even though we’ve just only bought it for a month. But Catherine is adamant to claim for warranty. Her reasoning being that we are supposed to tell Acer that the notebook is faulty, poor quality. By the time she said that, I really felt like banging her head to the wall. I mean how stupid can you get man! At least for an educated person, think of a more valid reason. Poor quality. Good Lord! Of course being a hot tempered person I am, the argument got really heated so I said irregardless of what happens she has to find a way to fix it. I don’t care whether you cheat someone of a new computer, steal or even go to the extent of bribing the relevant parties, I want it fixed. There’s still no conclusion at the moment.

To be continued….

5 comments:

Weig said...

Seems that she wants to get out of paying for the damage as much as you do. Obviously, short of telling her that her outright that you want her to pay, I doubt there'd be much success. Consider it bad luck. Consider her a parent with no sense of good guidance. If it get too heated, this little battle, you may loose some friendships. Better swallow the pill and pretend you've just had food poisoning after a 12 course dinner at Lafite.

zewt said...

i wonder what is there to say in the second part. you're probably going to get it fixed yourself.

p/s: wooooaaaaahhh... you bought a notebook for someone???? you're rich!

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear that. well, this is what u can do.... curse her (the auntie) 100 times a day. ahhaha. jkidding. jz ignore her, don invite her for anything, boycott her altogether x-(

where got such ppl 1. aih... pity u and ur future sis-in-law

Anonymous said...

Whoa sister. I know you are pissed but don't get too uptight with these inconsiderate people.

Coming from someone with borderline blood pressure problem, I suggest you cool down for a sec.

If you ask me, I would tell that nice fiancee sister of yours that this is your property and since it is damaged, you just have to live without one.

Best if you just do nothing and see how things go from there.

Seaqueen said...

Cirnelle: Hahahahah!! I like the last part about food poisoning after a 12 course dinner at Lafite.

Zewt: Not loaded. Just trying to help a student that's all. :)

Alvin: Yea. I'll just treat it as a load of bad luck knowing her. No choice.

Anonymous: Ok ok. Keep your hat on. I'm much better. Don't worry. Better take care of your blood pressure problem.

Thanks guys for all the word of advice. Really appreciate it. :)